Texas wave pool closes after surfer dies from 'brain-eating amoeba'

Adjust Comment Print

Stabile, an avid outdoorsman with a passion for surfing, snowboarding and fishing, had returned home when he began suffering a severe headache while mowing his lawn on September 16, loved ones said.

Eighteen-year-old Lauren Seitz of OH died in June 2016 after she contracted the brain-eating amoeba after rafting with a church group at the U.S. National Whitewater Center in Charlotte, N.C., the Charlotte Observer reported.

Stabile, an avid surfer and snowboarder, had worked for the New Jersey Department of Environmental Protection in addition to Bass Pro Shops, an outdoor equipment establishment in Atlantic City, according to his obituary.

The amoeba, called Naegleria fowleri, is typically seen in fresh water.

The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention said contaminated water can enter through the nose and pass through the body. The initial symptoms may include headache, fever, nausea, or vomiting.

She said didn't know when Stabile was at the park.

Naegleria fowleri infections are not all that common, but with a fatality rate over 97%, Naegleria fowleri survivors are extremely rare.

Brewers, Cubs meet in one-game playoff for NL Central title
He has 109 RBIs, two behind leader Javier Baez of the Cubs, and Yelich's 36 home runs are one behind Nolan Arenado of the Rockies. The Colorado Rockies' Charlie Blackmon completed a cycle by hitting an RBI double in the bottom of the eighth inning Sunday.

'I'm not interested': José Mourinho responds to Paul Scholes' criticism
We were the team that tried more, that had probably a couple of big chances to win, but I accept the result as a fair result. But they failed to impress as Mourinho's men made it four games without a win.

Cristiano Ronaldo denies 'fake news' rape allegation on Instagram
In addition, Cristiano allegedly spoke out about the allegations in a now unavailable video from Instagram live. It is unclear what exact question was asked before Ronaldo seemingly dismissed the allegations.

The Center for Disease Control (CDC) is now investigating the case and BSR has voluntarily ceased operation until conclusive results are available.

It causes the nervous-system infection primary amebic meningoencephalitis (PAM) by traveling up a person's nostrils and into their brain, but can not be transmitted if a person swallows water contaminated with the bug.

It can be found in freshwater in warmer climates, from hot springs to rivers and lakes.

The CDC will continue to investigate the surf resort in Waco.

The "heat-loving" amoeba causes PAM, or primary amebic meningoencephalitis (PAM), a rare and almost always fatal disease of the central nervous system, according to the CDC.

A person can be contaminated with the amoeba while swimming or diving. In his memory, his family is asking for donations to the Swim Above Water Amoeba Awareness Foundation which aims to bring awareness to the disease.

The BSR pool has voluntarily closed its facilities so that a small CDC team can collect samples for testing.

Comments